Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Flying Space A out of Seattle- Tacoma International Airport

My Destination- Misawa, Japan


I knew I'd be leaving from Seatac airport, but that was about it. 


After hours of getting no where, I finally found this website- http://www.62aw.af.mil/library/space-a/index.asp


This was super helpful because I was able to email- seattle.gateway@us.af.mil This allowed me to talk to some one directly instead of wandering aimlessly. I explained that I wanted to get to Japan sometime around Valentine's day and I needed step by step instructions as if they were talking to some one extraordinarily stupid. It took several emails, but I finally got it all set up. Since it was so confusing and I heard so much misinformation, I decided to make a blog about it, in the hopes to help others. 


So here it is: How I managed to fly Space A out of Seattle Tacoma airport:


Step 1:



In the box I've highlighted red, you will notice a link that says- "click here." Clicking there will take you to a form. Fill out the form and submit it. This will pre-register you for the flight. 

Step 2:
Because I'm paranoid, I emailed seattle.gateway@us.af.mil
and let them know where and when I was attempting to travel and whether I was active duty, dependent, or retiree.
This step was probably unnecessary, however, with the military, it's better to document everything and triple check. 

Step 3: 
The Travel Letter. 
Important and annoying. The active duty person goes to his/her command and tells them what is going on. The commanding officer then drafts a travel letter saying that it's ok for you to travel via Space A. Isn't that nice of them? You will also need a new one to get back home.

Step 4:

Pack your bags and arrive early! The USO is on the second floor, down a really ridiculously long hallway. I ended up going to the USO first, checking my bags, and then asking the person working the counter where the office was that I needed to check in. It was just a few doors down. Once I located said office, I filled out some paperwork and they marked me as present for roll call. At this time they gave me the final verdict on what category I fell in along with a piece of paper with all my info on it. Categories are important because they designate who gets to get on the plane first. Cat. 1's get to go first. Fifths are last. Make sure you know your category and don't lose that paper!

Step 5: 

Wait. 

A lot. 

The USO has some nice amenities. Here's a link to enjoy while waiting: http://www.usopsa.org/index.php?content=seatac

Step 6:

It's Time! Grab your luggage and go downstairs to Ticket Counter 1. Ticket Counter 1 is the one I've highlighted in red. It's usually pretty easy to find simply because it's where a mob of people in uniform are. For more directions and maps, here's a link: http://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/Maps-and-Directions/Pages/Main-Terminal.aspx





 All active duty persons on orders will be called first because they are category 1. Then they go down the category list. Once they determine if they have enough room or not, they start calling category 4 & 5. If your name is called, briskly walk to the line. 

Make sure you have your luggage!!! If your name is called and you aren't ready to go, they will skip you.


Step 7: 

Assuming your name was called, you will now get your boarding pass and go through security. Head to the designated terminal to wait some more. 

Congratulations, you are on your way! 

If you were not called, please make sure there are not any children present to hear the string of obscenities   you will undoubtedly utter and repeat steps 1-7. The other option is buying a commercial ticket. 



I truly hoped this helped you and that you made your flight. Unless, of course, it was one I was trying to get on. 

2 comments:

  1. WOW YOU ARE AWESOME. Thank you SO MUCH for this information. You have saved me a world of trouble! I was searching for some answers regarding Space-A going out from Seatac, and I had absolutely ZERO CLUE what I was to expect.., until I found your blog. THANK YOU THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AHHHHHmazing! I am going to be doing this in a few months with my 5 y/o son to visit my husband in Japan and I've been really nervous and looking everywhere for info. This is such a great find!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete